Council of 3M National Fellows for
Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
Who we Are
The 3M Council is a vibrant community of award-winning teachers and students who are lifetime members of the Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE), and a constituency within STLHE.
In its 35-year history of supporting excellent teaching and learning and educational leadership in higher education, over 350 National Teaching Fellows and National Student Fellows have been welcomed into the Fellowship.
The Council was established in 2003 to support these Fellowships.
Learn more about the history of the 3M National Teaching Fellowship and the 3M Council here.
Alex Fancy, Mount Allison University
Inaugural Chair, 2003 to 2007
Our Vision and Goals
- To promote the Fellowship, its members and activities to outside constituencies and with strategic partners.
- To celebrate projects spearheaded by the Fellows and disseminate news about 3M Fellows’ initiatives, impact and accomplishments.
- To create communities of practice both regionally and nationally among 3M Fellows to discuss important issues in Higher Education teaching, learning and educational leadership.
- To design and implement projects that enhance teaching and learning excellence and educational leadership in Canadian Higher Education.
- To develop relationships and build collaborative opportunities with award-winning teachers and award-winning students internationally.
- To support and advise in the coordination and adjudication of the 3M National Teaching Fellowship and the 3M National Student Fellowship.
- To participate in public debates and discussions as advocates for valuing teaching and learning in Higher Education in policy making in provincial and national contexts.
University of OttawaCHAIR
COMMUNICATIONS AND FINANCE OFFICER
Mount Allison UniversityFELLOW-AT-LARGE
Univ of Northern British ColumbiaFELLOW-AT-LARGE
3M National Teaching Fellowship
3M National Student Fellowship
University of British Columbia3M National
Welcome to My Classroom
Welcome to My Classroom is scheduled as an interactive session held during the annual STLHE conference and showcases the teaching of 3M National Teaching and Learning Fellows.
Making a Difference
The book has been described in The Teaching Professor as “(…) a marvelous affirmation of how teaching inspires, enriches and satisfies both teachers and students. If you need a shot in your teaching arm, this book will supply it.”
Silences in Teaching and Learning
Our Communities and Members
3M National Teaching Fellows
The community of 3M National Teaching Fellows embodies the highest ideals of teaching excellence and scholarship with a commitment to encourage and support the educational experience of every learner.
3M National Student Fellows
College Sector Educators
In 2016, College Sector Instructors became eligible as nominees for the 3MNTF. Previous recipients of the CSEC award became part of the new Council of 3M National Teaching and Learning Fellows.